Dear friends and supporters,
In the past few weeks we watched as one arrestee had his charges completely dropped for lack of evidence, we witnessed a judge rule in favor of repressive state tactics when a Defender contested the legitimacy of the riot charges, we stood by our comrades who plead out, and we promised to continue to fight for all the Defenders who are going to trial! As we watch the extreme and repressive prosecution of Occupy and community activists across the country, we learn that what is happening in our town is not an isolated case, but a systematic attack on those who believe in fighting for justice. We must let the city and the country know that we will not allow for this! We must stand together and continue to support our friends and comrades as they face an unjust legal system!
Another week of court dates as folks from Occupy Homes MN continue to face absurd charges after eviction attempts at the Cruz home in May and June.
Pack the courtroom on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday this week in support of our friends and comrades, especially those facing riot charges!
You can find the court room by looking for the defendant’s name on the monitors in Govt. Center lobby:
- Monday 8/27 @ 130 PM in HCGC: Pre-trial for six J21 and May 30th Defenders, some facing riot charge (Look for Gilbert-Pederson)
- Wednesday 8/29 @ 130 PM in HCGC: Pre-trial for three May 30th Defenders, some facing riot charge (Look for Rechitsky)
- Thursday 8/30 @ 130 PM in HCGC: Pre-trial for May 29th Neighbor Defender and May 30th Defender facing riot charge (Name TBA)
- Friday 8/31 @ 830 AM: Hearing for May 25 Defender (Look for De Gracia)
- Friday 8/31 @ 130 PM in HCGC: Pre-trial for one J21 Defender
If you can’t make those times and still want to show support, some people also have arraignments in the Public Safety Facility across the street.
- Monday 8/27 @ 830 AM in PSF: Arraignment for one J21 Defender (Erickson)
- Friday 8/31 @ 830 AM in PSF: Arraignment for one J21 Defender 8:30 am: (Malles)
***And don’t forget to continue the call-in campaign. Keep the pressure on the Mayor’s office and the City Attorneys, let them know we will not stand for the criminalization of community activists fighting for housing justice! Please call the following people with the below demands:
- Mayor R.T. Rybak (612) 673-2100
- City Attorney Susan L. Segal (612) 673-3272
- Deputy City Attorney Mary Ellen Heng (612) 673-2270
- All charges against community members defending the Cruz family home be dropped.
- All police, including Chief Dolan, who used violence against peaceful protesters be formally disciplined.
- No more public resources be used to help banks evict our neighbors!
And check out this recent article from Alternet:
The Cruz Defenders Support Committee